I love baking with the kids, well actually I love the idea of baking with the kids. I have to weigh and sort everything out before calling Louie and Evie to help: their attention span is around 5 minutes and it only lasts that long if they get to eat some of the batter along the way.
We made this recipe last week, it was quick, easy and it kept both kids attention. I should mention which is the most important element: they taste blooming amazing!!!! Look, I’m not a domestic goddess but I could bust these out without any problems; if I can do it with the kids poking their fingers in and tipping the ingredients on the floor than anyone can.
Without further ado here is the recipe: the photo are shocking, Evie broke my camera and I don’t get it back until next week so please don’t judge me. Plus I baked these with the kids they are in no way Instagram perfect!!!
So here’s the recipe for Peanut Butter and Jam cookies:
You will need:
185g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
125g butter softened
325g peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
185g light Muscovado Sugar
1 vanilla pod split open and seeds scraped out
1 large egg
1. Preheat the oven to 180c/Gas 4 and line 2 baking trays with baking paper
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl
3. Put the butter, 200g of the peanut butter and the sugar into a large separate bowl and whisk until pale and smooth. Gradually sift in the flour mixture and beat until combined.
4. Using lightly floured hands, roll the dough into 30 balls slightly smaller than a walnut, gently fatten them and place them on the prepared baking sheets. Using 2 fingers (this is the bit that the kids loved) press down in the middle of each one to make a shallow indent. Place 1/2 teaspoon of jam and 1/2 teaspoon of peanut butter in each indent.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until pale golden. Using a spatula, transfer the biscuits to a wire rack to cool before serving.